Friday, February 2, 2007
My Mother In-law's Steamed Chocolate Cake
Lately, baking (or should I say steaming to be precise? ) Chocolate Cake seems to be my weekend routine. My two daughters keeps asking for more chocolate cakes since they love it so much! Actually this recipe belongs to my mother in-law. She has a cake shop back in Port Klang and this Chocolate Cake is the most sold- out cake. To those Chocolate Cake lovers out there this is a recipe that you should try. It's easy, simple and need no electric mixer or an oven so give it a try! To Mak, thanks a lot for the recipe!
My Mother in-law's Steamed Chocolate Cake
1 3/4 cup flour
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp soda bicarbonate
1 cup cooking oil (vegetable oil)
1/2 can of evaporated milk or you can substitute with a cup of fresh milk
3 eggs (beaten)
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 cup of boiling water
- sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and soda bicarbonate in a big bowl then add in the sugar and mix well with a wooden spatula.
- pour in the oil, followed by milk, make sure that everything is well mixed and then put in the beaten egg. Keep mixing.
- add in the vanilla essence and finally the boiling water and stir everything together.
- pour the mixture into a greased baking tray and steam on a medium heat for 45 minutes.
notes: if you don't have a steaming pot you can either bake or steam bake the cake as well .
For the Topping :
150g cooking chocolate
2 tbsp cocoa powder
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp sugar
1/4 cup of fresh milk
- melt the cooking chocolateand the butter in a double boiler
- in another bowl mix together the cocoa powder, oil, sugar and fresh milk.
- when the cooking chocolate is fully melted add in the coco powder mixture and mix everything well.
- top the melted chocolate on the cake and decorate it as you like.