Monday, January 21, 2008
Do you like donuts? I do. I think most people eat donuts even if they don't really fancy them but they do enjoy having them either for tea or breakfast. I sometimes make my own donuts since I enjoy playing with flour....kneading the dough..I always have the ingredients ready in the cupboard. My recipe for donuts is the same recipe for my pizza dough but of course, instead of rolling the dough flat to form a pizza base, I use a donut cutter to form rings of donuts. Donuts can be served with snow like icing sugar or honey.....but my children love having them with chocolate. Lots of chocolate ! Well, who doesn't ?
Ingredients (for the dough)
- see Pizza Dough
- enough cooking oil for frying
For the chocolate topping :
- 200g cooking chocolate, melted (double boiler technique - boil water in a pot and on top of the pot put a heat proof container with the chopped chocolate inside. Let the chocolate melt, see picture)
How to make rings of donuts :
- roll the dough flat approximately 1 and 1/2 inch thick and then by using a donut cutter cut (see the picture)the dough forming a donut ring.
- repeat the same action until all the dough is finished.
-let the donut rings to rest for a few minutes before frying it.
Frying the donuts :
- heat the oil in a frying pan or a wok on medium heat.
- when the oil is hot fry the donuts until golden
- dry the excessive oil with a kitchen towel and let the donuts to cool .
- Later, pour the melted chocolate on top of the donuts. Ready to serve.
-pizza,bread, donuts or any dough that contains yeast can be proofed in the refrigerator. If it happens that you have leftover donuts or pizza dough, you can put it in a plastic bag, and keep it in the fridge. When you want to use it the next day, just take it out and it's ready to use.
Thursday, January 17, 2008
Hehehe...two days ago I baked another cheesecake - Japanese Cotton Soft Cheesecake, for the first time too. Since I don't have any electric mixer so I had to whisk the egg whites manually.....owh boy! I had to use every single cells of my biceps and triceps just to form the meringue and kept telling myself inside "Sabar...sabar...just a little more....skit lagi...", hehehe. Luckily my cheesecake turned out really good ,thank god! It was worthwhile putting all my effort, energy and patience beating the egg whites. So I guess I deserve to have an electric mixer ,right honey ?
Cotton Soft Japanese Cheesecake (sumber
Ingredients ( 8-inci )
250g cream cheese
100 ml fresh milk(1/2 cup)
6 egg yolks
1 tbsp lemon juice (if available)
1/4 tspn salt
60g superfine flour
20g tepung jagung (cornflour/cornstarch)
140g gula (granulated sugar)
6 biji putih telur (egg whites)
1/4 tspn tartar krim (cream of tartar) atau 3/4 sdk jus lemon
-by using double boiler method, melt the cream cheese, butter & fresh milk. Once everything is melted and mixed together let it cool. Later, add in the flour, corn flour, egg yolks, salt and lemon juice and mix well.
- in another bowl, whisk the egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy then add in sugar and whisk again until until soft peak ( bertanduk) and shiny which we call meringue.
- mix the cream cheese mixture into the meringue mixture and stir well but do not over stir
- Pour the mixture into a baking tinlayered with paper or foil .(Sediakan tin/bekas kek yg bulat berukuran 8 inci, yg digriskan bwhnye & tepi tu salut dgn kertas baking. Tuang adunan kek dlm tin kek. )
-bake the cake in the oven by using the bain marie-technic for 50-55 minutes at 140'C (Bakar kek dlm kire2 sejam, dgn cara au bain-marie (waterbath), pd 140 degrees C / 325 degrees F. Pd sesapa yg kurang pasti waterbath tu cmner, buatnye simpel jer. Lepas letak adunan dlm dlm tin kek balut bwh hgga sparuh tinggi tin kek dgn aluminunium foil -ni double protection agar air xmasuk esp springfoam pan, saya x konfiden tu yg wat gitu hehe, kalo xmo buat ok je tp advisable balut).
Then, letak tin kek tu atas dulang pembakar, pastu tuang air panas atas dulang pembakar, preferably ½ tinggi tin kek tu, lepas tu letak ler dlm oven then bakar
Sunday, January 13, 2008
Friday, January 11, 2008
My family always enjoy pizza. We used to go out and ordered our pizza at the pizza outlets, but now not anymore because we can have it fresh and hot at home. I baked my own pizza ....and we can eat it as much as we can with our favourite toppings and lots of cheese.......mmm ...yummy! That's the best part. Since I like my pizza crust to be soft and spongy I add an egg and some milk powder . For the sauce...I use canned spaghetti sauce ...hehehe, well, I admit I cheat.....but it's much easier and quicker !
for the dough :
3 cups all purpose flour
3 tbs milk powder
1 tsp instant dried yeast
a pinch of salt
200ml luke warm water (a cup)
2 tbs shortening/butter/vegetable oil/olive oil ( I usually use shortening)
-in a bowl, add in all the dry ingredients (flour,milk powder,salt and yeast) and mix well.
- make a well (lubang) in the middle and crack the egg, and pour in the water,mix everything together. The dough will turn out a little bit sticky . But don't worry. Just keep kneading.
- add in the shortening and keep on kneading, if you find your dough is still sticky just dust your hand with some flour (atau celupkan tgn dalam tepung jer) and knead again until the dough doesn't stick to your hands anymore.
- cover the dough with a damp cloth (atau tutup jer ngan aper2) and let the dough rest for half an hour or until the dough rises double the original size.
- when it has risen,punch the dough to let the air out and divide it into two balls. with a rolling pin roll the dough flat forming a pizza base. Put it in a grease pan and let it rest for 5 minutes.
The pizza base is ready for your favourite toppings.
My choice of toppings would be :
a can of Prego Spaghetti Sauce (I like mushroom flavour)
beef pepperoni (sliced)
grated mozzarella (as much as you like!)
How to prepare your pizza :
-preheat the oven at 180'C for 5 minutes.
-scoop in the sauce onto the pizza base, covering the surface.
- sprinkle some of the parmesan and mozarella cheese.
- followed by onions, sausages and pepperoni
- and finished with lots lots of mozarella on top.
-bake in the oven approximately 25 minutes or until your cheese turns golden.
- once it is cooked, let the pizza to rest for about 5 minutes before you can enjoy it !