This sweet kuih is one of my favourite and my kids' too. It si made of glutinous rice, eggs and palm sugar. Usually we'll have this kuih during Ramadhan, so since Ramadhan is just around the corner I guess it's very suitable for me to paste the recipe. Though the steps might seem complicated but actually it's not. If you plan to have this kuih for Iftar, it's better if you prepare the ingredients earlier........So here is a recipe of Seri Kaya.
Seri Kaya (Glutinous rice, topped with egg castard and palm sugar)
Ingredients A :
100g palm sugar, chopped. (satu kerek laa kira2...atau setengah ketul)
1/4 cup of water
1 tbl spoon of corn flour (or you can just use plain flour)
a pandan leaf for the aroma (if it's not available you can ommit this)
- in a pot, boil the water and then add in the palm sugar and the pandan leaf.
- stir until all the palm sugar has dissolved. Turn off the heat.
- add in the corn flour and mix well. Let it cool.
- crack the eggs into the pot and mix everything well and set aside.
Ingredients B :
2 cups of glutinous rice (washed and soaked for a couple hours)
1 cup of coconut milk
a pinch of salt
- boil a lot of water in a steamer.
-meanwhile, combine the coconut milk, salt and glutinous rice in a bowl. Mix everything together.
- prepare a steamer proof container/cake tin by spreading a piece of plastic at the bottom of the container. This is to prevent the kuih from sticking to the tin.
- pour the coconut milk and glutinous rice mixture into the tin. Make sure that the coconut milk level is just slightly above the rice surface.
- steam the rice for about 15 minutes.
- when the rcie is cooked (you can tell by touching it...if it feels smooth that means it cooked and the color is almost transparent), wrap your hand with a clean plastic bag and start pressing the rice and smoothen the surface. This is to prevent the egg and plam sugar mixture from flowing down to the bottom of the tin through the rice.
- When the rice has been perfectly pressed, pour the A ingredients on top the rice through a sifter.
- steam the kuih again for another 15 minutes.
- when the kuih is cooked, leave it to cool before cutting it into small cubes.