This is a simple dish to prepare yet very delicious ! Very practical to those who work 9-5. Just get the fish ready marinated with all the ingredients, keep it in the fridge and when you're home put on the steamer and steam the fish for 15 -20 minutes. Or if you don't have steamer, you can steam the fish on top of the rice cooker, while cooking the rice! Two dishes is cooked at the same time. Isn't it easy ?
Ikan Kerapu Kukus (Steamed Fish)
a fish, weighs about 300g at least (I usually use kerapu, red snapper , siakap or bawal)
2inches ginger - julienned
a table spoon of oyster sauce
a stick of lemon grass - bruised
juice from a lime
salt to taste
2 tomatos - halved
2 chillies - sliced
a table spoon of fried shallots (if available)
some white pepper to taste
- put on the steamer
- mean while, in a pestle mortar, pound all the shallots, and half of the garlic together with the salt.
- mix the pounded ingredients with the oyster sauce ,pepper and lime juice.
- rub the mixture evenly on the fish and then place the fish on a steam proof dish.
- crush the remaining garlic, and just put it on the fish together with the ginger , tomatos, chillies all over and around the fish.
- topped the fish with the bruised lemon grass and fried shallots.
- steam the fish for about 15- 20 minutes ..depends on the size of the fish. The bigger the fish, the longer it will take.
- serve with hot steam rice or just eat it as it is! yummy!